Thursday, July 8, 2010

Water Lily and Dirge

Grief and God’s transforming love appear over and over in Evelyn’s work and are the constants in her life.


Water-Lily


A water-lily has a soul.

I felt it reaching out to me

One summer day. Its white hands stole

The grief that held me in its girth

And left my heart unbounded and free,

Praising the green kinship of earth.

A water-lily has a soul.


Evelyn Coffey






Dirge (Dated and written only months after her beloved sister Rose’s death.)


I am the last live autumn leaf.

Last night a grim nor’easter barged

Across the woods, a vagrant thief

Whose pockets bulged with firearms

Of drastic power. He fiercely charged

And shot my comrades down in swarms.

I am the last live autumn leaf.


Evelyn Coffey - 11/8/34


1 comment:

  1. Evelyn told us that Dirge was her expression of her having been left here on life's tree when Papa, Mama, and Rose had all been taken away.

    ReplyDelete