Monday, July 5, 2010

Answer

Answer

Ah, Phaon! Thou art come at last!

The waiting seemed overlong to me,

Even in this timeless land of shades

An endless, pulseless monotony.

Zeus forgave me some time since

The deathless Love I dared for Thee.

Athene’s portals opened wide

And offered joy for Eternity.

But in my heart of hearts I knew

That I could only choose to dwell

Condemned forever....with no hope

Of Second Spring....with Thee in Hell.

The folly of Thy youthful days

Means naught....ah, less than naught to me,

For as I crossed the dismal tide

Into your soul I could plainly see

That you were vain. Eyes half veiled,

Lush lips bedewed with ruby wine,

Bestowing kisses, lured you away,

And with you love I know was mine....

Mine though Heaven and Earth should merge

In chaos! Now the past belongs

To the dim dream that we called Life –

That whispering echo of forgotten songs.

Here together let us dwell among

These deathless Shadow Shapes until

Olympus’ angry Gods are paid in full

For Heaven we stole from their cloud-crowned Hill.

Evelyn Coffey

No comments:

Post a Comment