Saturday, June 5, 2010

No one else bet on him!

After Mary Cooney Coffey’s death, my Aunt Alice Flynn Burns reached out to her first cousin Evelyn. As a result, Evelyn traveled to New Hampshire to meet her Flynn relatives, with whom she fell hopelessly in love. She was too late to meet my grandmother, her Aunt Maggie, but others in the family told her wonderful stories. Jack and Julia, who raised three handsome sons, treated her as the daughter they never had, and bachelor Jim adored her, taking her to her first dog races and being astounded at tiny elfin Evelyn's enthusiasm for each "poor little doggie."

As mentioned earlier, I really did not know Evelyn. My brother says we met her in 1938, but I was too young to retain that memory. We had moved from Texas to Massachusetts for a year, and I was meeting all of my father’s family for the first time. So Evelyn, who would have been visiting there only a week, was not then a remarkable memory. (I am astonished as I write those words!)

Henry remembers going to the dog races with Evelyn, our father, and Uncle Jim. Henry was too young to be admitted, so Jim engaged the nearby Irish cop in lively conversation while Dad furtively tucked his little son under his top coat and sneaked him into the arena. (‘Tis no wonder Henry remembers this!)

Jim gave Evelyn a $2 bill to bet. She chose a dog with 30/1 odds and won! Jim said, “How on earth did you do that?” Her reply was, “He was so pathetic looking, and no one else was betting on him, so I did.”

Evelyn had learned from her mother how to shop sales and she applied this skill both at Filene’s Basement when she visited relatives in Boston and in local Cleveland stores. She was so tiny that her size clothing did not sell quickly, so she would wait as the price dropped each week and grab a true bargain at the last minute. In those days display shoes were in her size, too, and she made wonderful buys getting them on mark-down.

A devout Catholic, Evelyn sent beautiful religious Christmas cards to my parents, and in my child's mind she became a reclusive little nun-like figure. However, when the Texas Flynns met her in New England in 1949, I learned otherwise. I was totally enchanted by her. She loved to hit those sales at Filene's, had a charm and wit that was positively beguiling. My mother adored her, and Evelyn always spoke of how she loved Lettie.

In the 1960’s when he lived in Illinois, my brother went to Detroit to visit Evelyn on Warrington Street. He remembers an upstairs apartment in which every available surface was covered: a table filled with St. Christopher medals, a collection of seemingly valuable cylindrical wind-up music boxes tucked beneath another.

Many in our family are collectors, or maybe even hoarders, and we’ve always considered it a “Flynn affliction.” But now, one wonders if it came with our Coffey genes!


The poem below has nothing to do with the story above, but it does speak of Evelyn’s love of those whom others did not.


Ballad of a Dog


The bleakness of November sun

Speared scanty light across

A barren ranch, and shaggy winds

Distorted its pale gloss.


Trees crackled in sharp shadows and

The aged farm house flung

Its battered face into the void

That fallen leaves had hung.


An old, decrepit garden wept

For flowers that were gone,

And shrilled its pallid lonesomeness

Into the quiet dawn.


A path led to the river-bank,

And through its mud I sped

In search of a brave mother-dog

Whose litter’s grassy bed


Was loud with hungry cries. A thin,

Starved shape sprawled stiffly out

Upon the sand. The winter flu

Had put its life to rout.


I took the smallest puppy home

With me, and called her “Squeaks”

Because she made fond, squeaky sounds

For loving. All the weeks


Of puppyhood went by swift as

A day, and courage grew,

And loyalty, in Squeaks’ young heart.

Our love for her grew, too.


Grief visited our home and left

An aching memory,

And Squeaks, in puppies’ laughing way,

Made sorrowed hours flee


With bitten shoes and tattered hose

And curtains. I confess

It tried my mother’s patience much

To find things in a mess.

Soon, neighbors in a heartless kind

Of way decided Squeaks

Must leave. Her merry bark, they said,

Resounded like the creaks


Of rusty doors to one whose work

Made night of day, and day

Of night. I was not strong enough

To combat them, and they


Applauded their mean measure of

Success. I didn’t mind

Too much because Squeaks loved her new

Range home. Sleek forests lined


Its walls, and wood-life played with her.

I heard her laugh ring out

When birds chirruped – it was a life

More worthy of my scout.


Months passed in happiness until

A year had rolled around.

She brought nine sturdy sons into

The world. I watched them bound


In joy upon the floor of their

Small cabin – a handsome set

That soon were claimed by eager youth

Pursuing a new pet.

I saw Squeaks only twice since then,

And now they have told me

She wandered from the woods she loved

So well. How can it be?


Again a bleak November sun

Spears scanty light across

A barren ranch, with shaggy winds

Distorting its pale gloss.

The burlap of the kennel door

Is beating lonely taps

Upon its roof. A naked bone

Yawns lazily and naps.


Evelyn Coffey

No comments:

Post a Comment