Friday, June 11, 2010

Holding you and Him together.

I have no dates on Evelyn's poems, but this would seem to have been written after Rose's and her mother's deaths. Faith and grief intertwined, inseparable, glowing.



Calvary Pilgrimage


I went there

(they said you were there).


One darkling day

I saw you descend

(each of you),

closed in a shining thing,

closed to me

forever.


I heard the music sigh

and the surrender sound.

I heard words

saint-sweet with your names.

Christ-sweet with His.


But it was no more true

of you

than of Him.


They could not close you

in a box:

not you,

white and shining --

more shining than sun

to remember,

whiter than starlight.


Not when there would be

tomorrow.


Not when he died

on a cross

who did not die.

I brought flowers......

purple and gold.

I spread them

on the sun-struck grass,

on the waiting grass,

green dipped of earth and sun.


Kneeling,

I made a purple cross,

and hung it with a gold heart.


I fashioned a cross

quickly --

more quickly than His Cross

was fashioned,

but sprung from the same earth

that bore the heavenly-burdened tree.


Oh, not sweeter than that Cross,

this new,

lying on the soft grass

under the wheeling sun.



Not sweeter.....



but sweet,

holding you and Him

together.


Evelyn Coffey

1 comment:

  1. Wasn't Evelyn gifted with a natural sense of metaphor, of bridging earth and heaven, time and eternity? Grass, "green-dipped of earth and sun" - what a way to say that it grown in soil, grows because of the sun. The passive tense makes its verdure a gift, and not he result of effort or earning.

    ReplyDelete