Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Brothers

The phrase "Field of Flanders" identifies this as WW I, but the grief and grace herein attach themselves to any conflict.


Brothers

They called it “No Man’s Land," but God

was there. I know. I saw Him on

my darkest day, that suddenly

burned bright.


An ocean swept between

its dawn and night, and I paced decks

with mighty strides and wept their length.


My brother dead, whose gun I held

to spot a pheasant on a cloud?

that brother dead, whose rounded laugh

made silence of the waves’ white roar?


Out of the Field of Flanders plunged

the sound, and on another field

it echoed, and another broke

at heart.


As swiftly as my summons,

the word came, and I swung my trappings

across my untaught shoulders, blind

with grief.


Death were an easy thing

to face, since I had faced more bitter

anguish in that printed blow.


Without a hope, but staggered with

a madness that refused to count

him gone, I searched the billet rolls

and registers of wounded.


When

his name sprang black upon a page

it dazed me with its somber glow.


I stumbled through the halls . . . through row

On row of bandaged beds . . . and then

(how like a star, that unstarred night),

Great God! Good God! I saw his face.


Evelyn Coffey

1 comment:

  1. As fortunate as we were ("Blessed", Evelyn would correct me) to sit with her and ask her to tell us the story of her poems, this is one that is a mystery to us, too. How this is written as if it were her own experience! Perhaps she had read an article in the paper and climbed into the heart of the brother, making the experience her own? She had such compassion ,for God and dog alike, dog and God somehow one, as she and this brother were one.

    ReplyDelete