Sunday, August 15, 2010

Revelation

(numbered 385)


Published Sunday, May 23, 1937

Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Citation reads:

“A special honor which befell Miss Evelyn Coffey was the reprinting of her poem “Revelation” which originally appeared in “Skyline,” literary quarterly of Cleveland College. It follows:”


Revelation


I stood before a city gate,

I and my lonely soul,

Shivering in a homespun coat,

Behind a tattered veil.


The city swung an empty heart

Upon its gilded door.

I shed my longing for earth’s court

And looked upon a star.


Evelyn Coffey


1 comment:

  1. This seems to have been such a decisive moment, Evelyn even in her lonely, homespun, tattered desolation knowing that she was not drawn to the world. She would, at the time of publication, be 30, working at a clerical job. She had a wit as a worker. I wonder what they made of her, this impish, quiet poet.

    ReplyDelete