Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Chinese Mandarin

Chinese Mandarin

(An Attempt to Interpret the Ben Day Etching)

(Free Verse)



I am as the sun


In the honorable heavens


To these humble ones


Who come to me


For counsel.


My coat is redder


Than its flame,


And my wealth


And wisdom


Turn all that I look upon


To gold.


My ships


Wear mighty sails


And conquer dreadful seas


As swiftly as a bird


Ascends the clouds.


I am as a god.


These humble ones


Who are my people


Lift their faces


To me,


And I speak


In silence.



Evelyn Coffey


1 comment:

  1. Ben Day or benday is a process of laying dots over an illustration for printing in a newspaper. Evelyn had seen a photo in the newspaper of a Chinese soldier leaving his family to go to war, and her empathy found her becoming that man, writing this poem. What remarkable empathy, especially at a time when xenophobia, fear of those "different" from us, was the norm.

    ReplyDelete