Sunday, November 27, 2011

Mary's First Communion

An appropriate beginning for the Advent season, remembering the WHOLE story.


Dawn the morning after the Crucifixion, St. John’s cave

MARY'S FIRST COMMUNION

Hail, full of grace, thou lovely Mary, kneeling

with heaven’s light a flame upon thy hair.

Thou art a woman now. A mother’s feeling

has limned upon thy lips its hallowed care.

Pale as the altar cloth, thy tender face,

and radiant with longing, thy sad eyes.

As St. John lifts the Host, the holy place

is luminous with thy enchanted enraptured sighs.

Flesh of my flesh, my Savior and my Son,

upon this heart again shall rest Thy head.

A second miracle shall make us one,

compounding Thy sweet body out of bread.

No, Christ, my Son, Thou wert not changed in me

as I shall be now sanctified in Thee.

Evelyn Coffey

(published April, 1953 issue of “The Catholic Woman”)

No comments:

Post a Comment