Thursday, September 16, 2010

Interlude

Interlude


“She was a lovely little thing.

My heart quite left me when I touched

her hair. It was as gold as harp-

strings and the wind played seraph-songs

upon it as it glazed earth’s floor”.


“I saw two violets in the weeds

one day that gave me back her eyes.

set in a pool of dew they were,

all soft and sweet. They smiled at me,

not pitying, I like to think,

but with a woman’s smile for man.”


Absently , the man retraced his steps

steps, did I say? What would one call

the ceaseless wheeling of a chair

he used for feet? Forgotten was

the bustle of the crowd: forget,

The box of pencils flaunting red

and yellow to the passers-by.


I watched a while and knelt before

the man’s communion with his past.

A medaled uniform displaced

the snarled rags that covered him.

I saw his shoulders square themselves

as if at some command. His glance

was keened to distance, and his ear

To listening.


With joy of heart,

I ran his thought through glowing days.

that smile embraced her smile!


Too soon

the vision passed. A shadow burned

away the mask of reverie.

I almost heard the words that singed his lips:


“Dear God, am I a fool

to live in memories when they

are all I have?”

I shivered as

the wheel-chair faltered out of sight.



Evelyn Coffey


No comments:

Post a Comment